Sunday, December 05, 2010

Never Saw This Coming

At about 2:30 this afternoon, I was thinking that I was going to write about Peyton Hillis and his quest to become the first white running back since the Patriots Craig James to break the 1,000 yard mark, but after a quick check of twitter that all changed.

Jayson Werth signed with the Washington Nationals, the twitter post said. I could not believe it Werth signing with my Washington Nationals. Its hard to believe still. I for one still don't get it. The Nationals gave Werth seven years and $126 million. Those a franchise player type numbers, but here is my question, is Werth a franchise player. I tend to say no. With the Phillies, Werth was surrounded with star players from Howard to Utley to Rollins. So the offensive expectations where not as high as other members of the lineup. Werth has never been a 100 RBI player, the closest he came was in 2009 when he had 99. Now with the Nationals he is going to be counted on to provide power to a very limited offense. One of the few positives of this deals is that the Nats can keep their first round draft pick, traditionally teams are given a the first round pick of the team that signs a player. Since the Nats is a top 10 its protected.

While I'm happy the Nationals have spent some money  in free agency, I wish that they would have have taken that money and spent it in other areas. One thing that I would have loved to seen the National do was resign Adam Dunn and try to get AJ Burnett from the Yankees. That would have improved the team and also cost about the same. Sometime make a big splash is not the way to improve your team and with the Nationals that might be the case.

No comments: