Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I might have changed my mind

On Saturday, I was leaving the New Meadowlands Stadium after Rutgers come from behind win over Army, talking to rest of the OTWT Tailgating crew about what is going to happen at Rutgers and if Greg Schiano's time as the leader of the Knights has past. Fast forward an hour and we are heading home in the car, listening to Schiano's post game presser and my thoughts totally changed.

Maybe being a football coach is not about winning and lossing but about handling situations that others have never had to deal with. I have always been as supporter of Schiano and his ability to build Rutgers from a program that was nothing to a bowl team every year, but this year that changed with the disasterous start that the Knights had. But my views all changed.

Listening to Schiano talk about Eric LeGrand and his situation made me realize that Schiano strenght might not be his game planning or his recruiting, but rather his relationship with his players. While speaking about  LeGrand, Schiano showed the passion and compassion that any parent would like to see from their sons coach.


An hour before his post game presser, I was talking about how Mike Leach and Glen Mason would be a good fit to take over for Rutgers and then an hour later that tone had changed and now I could not be happier with Schiano and the way he has acted over the last couple of days.

No comments: