- The Phillies pick of Anthony Hewitt (pictured above) might be one of the stranger selections in the last couple of years. Hewitt is raw and is going to cost a couple of million dollars to get out of commitment to Vandy. The Phillies also took a chance in the third round by taking another player with signability issues in New Jersey prep pitcher Jason Knapp. Knapp has a strong commitment to North Carolina. I hope Pat Gillick knows that he is going to have to spend some money to sign these players and if he does he will have reloaded the system in a hurry.
- This might be one of the best college draft ever. I guess if you are putting that much money in to a pick it's good to know that the product is almost finished.
- Peter Gammons is incredible. His work on the ESPN2's draft coverage was as good as Mel Kipers work with the NFL.
- In this Internet age it's good to see the draft finally getting the due it deserves.
- The Sox and Yankees again show their spending muscle by draft two top ten talents (Cole and Kelly) that fell to the bottom of the first round because of the signability.
- In the end the Only Time Will Tell Scouting Department did not do that well only getting two picks right. Told ya the draft was hard to predict.
- FSU Buster Posey might have cost himself a couple of spots with his $12 million signing bonus.
- The Rays hope that they can have Tim Beckham and BJ Upton patrolling up the middle for the next decade or so.
- The Royals are one of the few teams that really do not mind dealing Scott Boras. Over the last three years the Royals have drafted Boras clients: Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas and Luke Hochevar.
Friday, June 06, 2008
Baseball Draft thoughts and tidbits
While the baseball draft is not on the level of the football and basketball drafts, its still fun. The Only Time Will Tell Scouting Department DVRed the draft while they were working and reviewed it later on in the night and here are a couple of thoughts from the department: