Here are just a couple of the all time classics:
- “I’m not planning on losing a whole lot. I understand it’s a possibility because there are no Vanderbilts in the NFL. But I’m not a real good loser. I don’t really want to get good at it,'' on going to the NFL to coach the Redskins.
- “We pitched it around in the USFL. We pitched it around at Duke. We pitched it around at Florida. I came here to see if we can pitch it around in the NFL. I don’t see why we can’t,” on making the Fun and Gun work in the NFL.
- “Can’t spell Citrus without UT, ” Spurrier said about the Vols after they failed to beat the Gators every year and ended up spending their New Years in Orlando. There is even a program to prove it.
- ‘’You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University,’’ after a couple of FSU players were charged with taking free shoes from Foot Locker.
- "We’ve always heard rumors about them (FSU). We’ve always suspected. They’ve beaten us four out of five years in recruiting. Heck, maybe they’re the greatest recruiters in the world. But maybe there are other reasons that those guys go there. Those guys always say they feel ‘more comfortable’ going to FSU. Well, maybe we’re starting to realize what that ‘more comfortable’ means,’’ Spurrier going on about FSU.